Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome to Unfortunate Couture, the Introduction

It should be noted, up front, that I have no training in fashion. I don't even have an interest in fashion. I don't even claim to have particularly good taste. I'm sure some of what I consider appalling will be considered very stylish by other people. That's great - but they can get their own blog. This is where I get to post the abominations I see, and mock them. If you like my critique, awesome, and feel free to comment. If not, feel free to comment, or go find a site/blog that better suits your taste.

Anyhow, here's how it started.

I live in a large, metropolitan city. We have a Fashion Week. We have a Fashion District. We have several areas of the city where fashionistas of all stripes congregate and shop. Or so I'm told - I mentioned I'm not a fashion maven.

Anyhow, there are lots of clothing stores aimed at people who like fancy duds, or who are businesspeople and want power clothes, and so on.

Every so often, I am struck very nearly dumb passing by a store window. I see something I consider so hideous, garish, or simply inexplicable, that I am compelled to snap a shot of it. And then I mock it. Here.

So welcome, my friends, to Unfortunate Couture. There will be hits and misses, no doubt, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Naturally, feel free to email me pics if you spot a fashion crime.

There are, however, rules. First, no bridesmaid dresses. That's fish in a barrel. Second, nothing from the runways. That stuff isn't intended for real humans to actually wear. Outfits here must be from actual stores, and preferably in the front window. And third, only actual "designed" outfits. Not the lady in your office who thinks the plaid pants and floral jacket go together. This is about designers' crimes, not color-blind or taste-impaired people.

So, I commence...

No comments: